How Old is the Orgasm in Terms of World History?

A place to post Polls

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

How Old is the Orgasm in Terms of World History?

Postby Mrs J » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:50 pm

No seriously, when was it first mentioned?

Because I've been thinking how it is implied that orgasm should be reserved for marriage, but it doesn't actually SPECIFY anywhere that I have seen. No mention of it whatsoever in modern or ancient scripture. Other than any reference to seed spilling. So it's like the female orgasm doesn't exist.

I am not petitioning for free orgasms for all, btw.

Y'all know how i feel about the sanctity of marriage and the vulnerability we put ourselves in when we cum in front of our spouse. I think that should be held sacred between a husband and wife.

But that feeling comes straight from God Himself in my heart, because really...does it say that anywhere that anyone knows of? Not to orgasm except with your spouse?

Just wondering.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.
Mrs J

Re: How Old is the Orgasm in Terms of World History?

Postby mariabronn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:02 am

Great question Mrs j! I can't think of ORGASM being mentioned anywhere in scripture.

But we know that orgasm exists for all. Maybe it's one of the mysteries of heaven, only fully enjoyed by those who care to figure out how to arrive at it. When orgasm is shared it's like a mind meld, a connection so deep between the souls of those enjoying it that it transcends almost any other connection.
mariabronn

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 pm

There isn't really any place where it should be mentioned, or any place that they had to avoid mentioning it. What business is it of ours to know who gave whom an orgasm or when it happened or any such thing. Sexual intercourse outside of marriage is not less wrong if she doesn't have one, and it isn't more wrong if she does. I don't see anyplace where it would be relevant to bring it up.
LatterDay Marriage

Postby Mrs J » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Very interesting...DH and I watched our first rated R movie in years and years last night. Hysteria from 2012. No nudity, no violence, no bad language, no premarital sex. Why was it rated R? Subject matter! It was about the guy who helped invent the first massager for use in bringing women to orgasm. There were scenes of women having "paroxysms" but they weren't really titillating TBH. It was a romantic comedy and pretty funny.

The whole idea that doctors administered the treatment for hysteria was mind boggling to us. How could they not know what they were doing? But I guess the theory of the day was that women could only experience true pleasure from intercourse. Weird stuff.

A fun movie for date night, as it is a period piece. Great for a married couple to watch.
Mrs J

Postby blahblahblah » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 am

Yup, we've watched that as well, and we thought it was a fun movie, although I didn't warn my wife ahead of time what it was about. Definitely a case where the R rating wasn't really a reflection of how bad it would be. I have found much more suggestive and inappropriate content in PG-13 movies.
blahblahblah

Postby KSSunflower » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 am

Mrs.J, just watched the previews to the movie. Looks good. What exactly did they consider hysteria back then?
"It is not sex that gives the pleasure, but the lover." ― Marge Piercy, “Sensuality is not a sexual invitation, it’s a depth invitation.” ― Lebo Grand http://mormonsexualdialogue.boards.net/, http://www.chatzy.com/24691190515294
KSSunflower

Postby Mrs J » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 am

Anything they didn't like. Distracting thoughts, anxiety, depression, anything.
Mrs J

Postby bosshog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:27 am

I actually posted a reply to this quite a few days ago, but apparently it didn't submit. I think this is an interesting question. After reading in the How far did you go thread I see that some felt that an orgasm was where the line was drawn. You could touch, and rub, do a little dry humping but as long as there was no O it was okay. Who set that standard? I understand that it could be considered a sexual experience, and so on. But where did that come from. Is it a cultural thing? As for DW and I neither of us felt it was a sin to have an orgasm before marriage. Appropriate might be another thing. But having an orgasm fully clothed isn't messing with procreation. Technically neither of you need to have an orgasm to procreate. On that thought does that mean you can do PIV but as long as there is no orgasm than it is okay? I knew kids who thought along those lines. Or if it was anal it wasn't considered sex. I had a companion from the cedar city area and he said that's what kids would do down there. So I find it interesting where some of the lines get drawn and how those lines can then get really fuzzy after being engaged.

Yesterday, one of the YM taught the lesson on the Lords standards for dating. Those standards are in the For Strength of Youth booklet. We spent some time on them, and then I moved the discussion onto dating after their missions, and how those standards change. I stumped them with the question, Whats appropriate while in high school, but not really appropriate after their mission? Of course they were thinking things like making out, and what they could get away with, but didn't want to say anything. I love to make them squirm like that. The answer was that while it is appropriate to group date, and not start singling off in high school. It's not so appropriate after their mission. They are supposed to start to single off, and go on single dates. Something the church struggles with at it's private universities. I however didn't really get into the physical side of things. What is okay to do while dating after their mission. Like cuddling, making out, being intimate in a primarily non sexual way. I kind of realized that I don't know what the "standards" are at that stage. I was never taught them. We just did what we felt was okay. We stepped over the line once or twice, and we talked to the bishop about it, who pretty much laughed at us. Basically what it boiled down to was no sex, no touching genitals, no getting naked together, don't do anything that would make the other uncomfortable, avoid the opportunities that might lead to sex. Everything else was kind of game. If it was comfortable. I don't ever remember anything being said about orgasms. If I did, I didn't understand what they said because it was in a very vague way. So we never felt like we were sinning, but learning more about each other and being able to give each other an orgasm. It started as "un-intentional", but it later lead to very intentional. We often felt it probably wasn't appropriate because it could lead to other things, but never felt it was a sin because the big O happened.
bosshog

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:06 am

My understanding is that the standard doesn't change just because you are older. If you are YSA out on a date, you should be following those same standards. Don't make it sexual, don't deliberately get yourself or each other sexually aroused. I expect the institute manuals repeat and refer to the instructions given in FTSOY but I'm too tired to check right now.
LatterDay Marriage

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 am

In terms of history ( not just recorded history) I think it's pretty safe to say that Eve was first. They were likely taught the birds and bees by the best possible expert on the matter, and even if not they had over 900 years to figure it out.
LatterDay Marriage

Return to Polls