Ward Christmas Parties.

A place to post Polls

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

Ward Christmas Parties.

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:11 am

OK, I know this has nothing to do with sex, but I got volentold to be on the committee for organizing our Ward's Christmas party this year, and the new Bishop has ruled out much of what we normally did so we are looking for new ideas.

So, what does your ward usually do, or what ward Christmas party from your past stands out in your mind.
LatterDay Marriage

Re: Ward Christmas Parties.

Postby KSSunflower » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:20 am

We have had each auxiliary sing Christmas music. You could do a reenactment of His birth. Our ward watched the video but I think a play would have been so much fun. Sort of like what they do for the Easter pageant but lesser scale of course.
"It is not sex that gives the pleasure, but the lover." ― Marge Piercy, “Sensuality is not a sexual invitation, it’s a depth invitation.” ― Lebo Grand http://mormonsexualdialogue.boards.net/, http://www.chatzy.com/24691190515294
KSSunflower

Postby cmfray » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:01 am

Voluntold - eh. That's a good word for it!

The last several years we have done the exact same thing.
Before dinner as people are arriving - Santa sits in foyer and kids get to sit on his lap, photo op, and get a candy cane.
A Christmas dinner - Ward provides ham, green beans, rolls. Sign up sheet for potatoe dishes & pie.
Primary acts out the nativity and sings.
Clean up and go home!!!
Kind of getting old in my opinion - but keeping my opinion to myself as I don't want to be Voluntold in charge of it. lol

Before this rut:
A Christmas brunch with a service project one year.
I think we collected things to send to deployed military people.

A couple of times they did a Bethlehem Christmas, where everyone dresses in that time period.
Just like #2 on this site:
http://www.families.com/blog/five-ideas ... as-parties
In fact we have done all 5 of those ideals.

Other ideals on ldsliving.com

http://ldsliving.com/story/5820-the-ann ... tmas-party

My experience - Pot lucks bring out less people. If you provide the food and don't ask them to bring food - they come out of the woodwork.
Last edited by cmfray on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmfray

Postby Kiss » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:22 am

Hubby worked for a trucking company and we would borrow a truck and pile everyone in the back and pull the side closed ( it was a canvas side opening thing) and we would drive around to the old biddies in the ward and pull up, someone knocked on their doors, they would come out , flap would open..we would all sing, close flap and drive off.

Cost nothing,
Then we would have some sort of food later.
But....
It is summer here, the roads are not busy so driving around with a load of refugees in the back, didn't bring police,
We could pull over in front of houses no problem, we put a few arm chairs for the older ones in the truck, otherwise everyone sat down inside and stood to sing.
We sang 3 songs at each place, one a request from the home owner and then silent night to move on. Just a verse.

It was great fun.
Then hubby decided to become a teacher..so no truck available anymore.
( he was licensed to drive it)
Kiss

Postby OkieDokie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:33 am

Many years ago we re enacted the Birth in my Utah ward. Everyone dressed up in period costumes , the bishopric were the three wise men we had a dinner after we paid our taxes paid taxes at each little store to get our food. Had a whole town of Bethlehem set up in the cultural hall. Even had a chariot salesman called Lehi Acoka, every one turned Mary and Joseph away when they tried to sit down to eat . They finally found a seat on the floor over next to the manger.
OkieDokie

Postby Kiss » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:41 am

That sounds fun,
You could use old nails as currency, or Monopoly money.
Or pegs.

Whoooooo, the choices.
Kiss

Postby OkieDokie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 am

As I recall we used those gold foil covered chocolate coins for shekels. Then redistributed them and ate them for dessert.
OkieDokie

Postby Kiss » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 am

Good idea.
Kiss

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 pm

OkieDokie wrote:Many years ago we re enacted the Birth in my Utah ward. Everyone dressed up in period costumes , the bishopric were the three wise men we had a dinner after we paid our taxes paid taxes at each little store to get our food. Had a whole town of Bethlehem set up in the cultural hall. Even had a chariot salesman called Lehi Acoka, every one turned Mary and Joseph away when they tried to sit down to eat . They finally found a seat on the floor over next to the manger.

That sounds awesome. We normally had a turkey dinner for everybody then a program of some kind that would end with the primary doing the nativity. The Ward Council nixed the dinner, too much work/stress and concerns that the focus was on coming for a big meal rather than on coming to celebrate the birth of Christ. So the food side of things is being drastically cut back, and the program given more attention. Thanks all for the input.
LatterDay Marriage

Postby EverBetter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Try collecting pictures from all the ward activities from the year. Then have some patient person put them into a slide show, with some music, that is projected after dinner. It brings back a lot of positive memories and reminds people of why we have a ward community. Some wards also include pictures of those who passed away during the year, but others think that too sad to use.
EverBetter

Next

Return to Polls