Wards

A place to post Polls

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

Re: Wards

Postby Jgtrs » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:46 am

People were actually trying to boycott "Ender's Game" because of the LDS church's position on gay marriage??

That's like boycotting Orville Redenbacher's popcorn because you don't agree with the Methodist's position on the funding of birth control.

I agree that Ender's Game was a good movie. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it stayed pretty true to the book--as well as any movie can--which probably was due to Card being a co-producer. I think it is an interesting commentary on war in general.
Jgtrs

Postby jamesdean » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 am

When I first heard about the boycott a couple of months ago, it was related to some comments Card made in an essay - not specifically the church's stance. Don't recall the name of the book but it was a collection of non-fiction work by Card.
jamesdean

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 pm

jamesdean wrote:When I first heard about the boycott a couple of months ago, it was related to some comments Card made in an essay - not specifically the church's stance. Don't recall the name of the book but it was a collection of non-fiction work by Card.

He wrote some op-eds against gay marriage too, the boycotters used that plus his being a practicing Mormon to try and stir things up. Sad thing was they did succeed with DC Comics, Card was hired on to write for one of the Superman comic books and there was a big hue and cry about a 'hate filled homophobe' writing for the pure and virtuous Superman. DC Comics found a way to nullify his contract.
LatterDay Marriage

Postby KSSunflower » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Didn't read the book but want to see the movie. What is in it that made people want to boycott it?
"It is not sex that gives the pleasure, but the lover." ― Marge Piercy, “Sensuality is not a sexual invitation, it’s a depth invitation.” ― Lebo Grand http://mormonsexualdialogue.boards.net/, http://www.chatzy.com/24691190515294
KSSunflower

Postby Mrs J » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:26 pm

That's the thing, Kansas, nothing objectionable in the movie. It's purely out of spite for Card. And maybe Mormons in general.
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.
Mrs J

Postby LatterDay Marriage » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 am

Yup, the movie is PG, no love interest, just some spaceship battles, bullying/schoolyard fights and video game violence. The book won a Hugo award and they have wanted to make a movie of it for a long time but it wasn't easy to convert to film and Card wouldn't compromise the story.
LatterDay Marriage

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:44 am

LatterDay Marriage wrote:I'm glad it is doing well at the box office too since there were some people who were trying to get a mass boycott going because of the church's position against gay marriage.

It really isn't doing that well.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=endersgame.htm

But I don't think it has much to do with the boycott. Hopefully the home sales will do more to dig it out of the hole.
Rob

Previous

Return to Polls