Being asked by Bishop/Stake President about masturbation

A place to post Polls.

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

As an adult have you been asked in an interview with a Bishop or Stake President if you masturbate?

No.
58%
Yes, as a single adult.
30%
Yes, as a married adult.
13%

Total votes : 40

Postby KSSunflower » Sun May 21, 2017 1:03 am

I can't ever think of a time I was asked about masturbation; youth or adult.

Edit: this comment shows first when I'm on Tapatalk. Not sure how that happened. FYI, though, be64 started this thread.
Last edited by KSSunflower on Sun May 21, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSSunflower

Postby be64 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:56 am

I wrote in the youth interview thread about a recent interview with my Stake President where he asked if I masturbate. I won't repeat that story here, but I am curious how many here have been asked point blank in an interview with a Bishop or Stake President if you masturbate?

I voted yes to both single and married because while I don't remember the questioning exactly, I'm sure it was discussed when I was preparing to go on my mission.
be64

Re: Being asked by Bishop/Stake President about masturbation

Postby be64 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:13 am

likesnatural wrote:I think this question has been discussed before, but I'm going to ask it here. Do you think that adults should be asked about masturbation? Please give reasons for either a yes or no answer. Thanks.

I hesitate to state my true feelings on the topic, but in my view the question should be "Do you obey the law of chastity?" and leave it at that. Then the member, having been taught the law of chastity in the temple is able to decide whether his actions are in keeping with the law of chastity and answer accordingly. I think that being asked directly if you masturbate is adding a level of detail that may be inappropriate.
be64

Postby Scsurfer » Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 am

I told him I did with the same hand I shook his hand with.
Scsurfer

Postby likesnatural » Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 am

I think this question has been discussed before, but I'm going to ask it here. Do you think that adults should be asked about masturbation? Please give reasons for either a yes or no answer. Thanks.
likesnatural

Postby ILMW » Sun May 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I remember being asked once, before my mission. Never again in the last 30 or so years. I wouldn't mind if the bishop or stake president asked, and if he did, I'd say "yes, probably shouldn't so much, and I feel worthy to go to the temple "
ILMW

Postby KSSunflower » Sun May 21, 2017 5:54 pm

likesnatural wrote:I think this question has been discussed before, but I'm going to ask it here. Do you think that adults should be asked about masturbation? Please give reasons for either a yes or no answer. Thanks.

Is it something in itself that would make us unworthy to enter the temple? What is the necessity in asking this question?

If answering yes would not affect our worthiness, then it really needs not to be asked. I would find it an unnecessary intrusion. We can work that out between ourselves and the Lord. If we feel it's a serious problem we can, of our own volition, seek the counsel of our bishop.

If it does affect our worthiness, then it should be clear that this is the standard to enter the temple. But it seems to me, there is a grey area when it comes to masturbation after one is married.

Being asked this question would indicate to me, that it should not be practiced and that it does in fact matter when it comes to evaluating our worthiness to enter the temple.
KSSunflower

Postby Deusdictum » Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 pm

KSSunflower wrote:Being asked this question would indicate to me, that it should not be practiced and that it does in fact matter when it comes to evaluating our worthiness to enter the temple.
Unless it's an example of a priesthood leader going off the rails and asking questions he shouldn't. It could be analogous to the oral sex questions that used to be asked by some bishops.

Let me put it this way. About four or five years ago, I went in for a temple recommend interview and mentioned that I was masturbating because, well, I was in a sexless marriage where my wife would only have sex maybe once a month. He was much more concerned about getting us to see a sex therapist than he was about my masturbation. Bless his heart he had the name and number of a counselor that he recommended as being very helpful. If only my wife had been willing to go.

As for whether or not he signed my recommend... I honestly can't remember for sure, but I know I never spoke to him again about the masturbation, or a recommend. I think he did sign it, but that was also around the time we moved, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deusdictum

Postby Scsurfer » Mon May 22, 2017 1:36 am

KSSunflower wrote:Is it something in itself that would make us unworthy to enter the temple? What is the necessity in asking this question?

If answering yes would not affect our worthiness, then it really needs not to be asked. I would find it an unnecessary intrusion. We can work that out between ourselves and the Lord. If we feel it's a serious problem we can, of our own volition, seek the counsel of our bishop.

If it does affect our worthiness, then it should be clear that this is the standard to enter the temple. But it seems to me, there is a grey area when it comes to masturbation after one is married.

Being asked this question would indicate to me, that it should not be practiced and that it does in fact matter when it comes to evaluating our worthiness to enter the temple.

KSS - I know that up until 1997, YOU were asked if you masturbated as part of being worthy to go to the temple and if you said YES, you were not allowed to attend the temple or receive a temple recommend. Some of us lived through these changing times in the church and still remember how "hard core" things used to be.

People used to take "blood oaths" in the temple up until 1990

I was told people only wear WHITE in the temple........ and then I went in and was handed a GREEN apron.....
Scsurfer

Postby be64 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:44 am

I have had a temple recommend since 1984. There has never been a question specifically mentioning masturbation.
be64

Next

Return to Polls