Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

A place to post Polls.

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

If you served a full-time mission, how often (if at all) did you masturbate while on yours?

Never
23
23%
Once or twice
14
14%
3 to 5 times
6
6%
5 to 10 times
5
5%
10 to 25 times
4
4%
About once a month
9
9%
About twice a month
11
11%
Weekly
18
18%
So many times I can't remember or count
8
8%
 
Total votes : 98

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Bryan_LDS_husband » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:27 pm

I m'd like a mad man right up to the MTC, and the stopped cold turkey. They result was that just about every night I had wet dreams and had to get up to change my garments. Either my three roommates slept through it, or they just had the courtesy to never mention it.

Maybe a handful of times I did m on my mission, and I always felt super guilty about it. I was still in the "it's a sin" school of thought back then.

I've long since stopped feeling that way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan_LDS_husband
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:10 am

Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Deusdictum » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 am

Masturbation was not an issue for me on my mission. I stopped beforehand and prayed very fervently during my setting apart by the mission president that he would bless me that it wouldn't be a problem. He was clearly confused about why he was being prompted to say what he did, as he had no idea about my past habits, and he didn't explicitly call M out, but he said something to the effect of it would not be a problem on my mission. And it wasn't. Since then... well...

I think I might have had one companion who did it for a period of time. He was being mopey and didn't take the sacrament, but I knew he was a good elder and was just beating himself up over something stupid (M never even entered my mind at the time). I called the mission president to have a talk with him simply so my companion would get over it already.

About the most damage I probably did on my mission was when we were eating dinner with a member whose wife was out of town. He was less active / recently returned to church. He starts asking about how the two of us always have to be together, we share a room, etc. We tell him we are supposed to always be together, no matter what, with using the toilet and showering being the only exceptions. He asked, essentially, if that included when we masturbated. We told him that we didn't masturbate, that it was against the Law of Chastity (and looking back on it, I'm not totally sure that my companion was on the same page as I...). The poor man couldn't leave it there. Well, what about if you're thinking about your spouse, what if you're having phone sex with your wife, what if your spouse gives you permission, or what if you're doing it in front of or for your spouse? Here I am, naive 20 year old, giving the conservative church answers that it was all wrong because touching yourself is masturbation and no other circumstance makes it okay. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks that he was probably asking about things he did. I tried to backtrack and tell him that I was just guessing based on what we were told about singles and solo M, and he should really ask the bishop if he had specific questions, but it wasn't that effective. Guess who we never saw in church again? We finally called him to see if our conversation was the problem and found out that he had moved to the other ward in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deusdictum
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:20 am

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Jillicious » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:13 am

Seems to be an older resurrected thread...but nonetheless...

Most replies here seem to be from men. Well, sisters serve missions too, and some of us masturbate as well. I masturbated copiously when I was a teenager. I do have some humorous memories about masturbation as a teen. I would say masturbation, although leaving me with a lot of curious questions as a teen, kept me satisfied enough to never try to have sexual relations with anyone. I felt guilty in the MTC about it because they took such a hard line about the subject. As a result I didn't masturbate in the MTC but I had a few really great sex dreams, which I felt bad about at the time. I didn't masturbate for the first few months of my mission. Honestly, it was probably one of the worst things I've done because one day it all exploded like the Teton dam.

Women are made a little differently than men and when things get hot and sweaty then they can get a bit more sensitive. At least that has been my experience. I was walking briskly with my companion on a rather hot and humid summer day when I was suddenly on the brink of an orgasm. I was extremely familiar with the feeling. I started walking a little slower and she seemed perturbed that I appeared to not want to get to our next appointment on time. So she hurried me along which got my fat thighs moving faster which got the wet lips rubbing quicker. Needless to say I had to stop and take a break as an enormous climax hit me. My knees buckled and I hit the ground. She thought I was sick or something so after our appointment we went back to our apartment and I took some time to "freshen up". I masturbated furiously to try to get it all out of my system. I was always too scared to tell my mission president about it because I thought he would send me home. The stigma of being a failed missionary was more powerful to me than the stigma of telling my mission president that I had an involuntary orgasm followed by multiple self-induced orgasms.

After that day I started masturbating daily in the shower or while my companion was in the shower. Sometimes I would even excuse myself and rub one out in the restroom. I've never had another experience like that. I've never had another orgasm just from walking. I've also never stopped playing with myself long enough to see if it could happen again. Keeping myself satisfied allows me to focus in on more spiritual matters, as odd as that may sound to some people. I was a complete mess during my "no masturbating" time. I could hardly focus on anything and I spent a lot of time day dreaming. I found that I was a much more successful missionary after I returned to my old "evil" ways.
Jillicious
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Scsurfer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Jillicious wrote:Seems to be an older resurrected thread...but nonetheless...

Most replies here seem to be from men. Well, sisters serve missions too, and some of us masturbate as well. I masturbated copiously when I was a teenager. I do have some humorous memories about masturbation as a teen. I would say masturbation, although leaving me with a lot of curious questions as a teen, kept me satisfied enough to never try to have sexual relations with anyone. I felt guilty in the MTC about it because they took such a hard line about the subject. As a result I didn't masturbate in the MTC but I had a few really great sex dreams, which I felt bad about at the time. I didn't masturbate for the first few months of my mission. Honestly, it was probably one of the worst things I've done because one day it all exploded like the Teton dam.

Women are made a little differently than men and when things get hot and sweaty then they can get a bit more sensitive. At least that has been my experience. I was walking briskly with my companion on a rather hot and humid summer day when I was suddenly on the brink of an orgasm. I was extremely familiar with the feeling. I started walking a little slower and she seemed perturbed that I appeared to not want to get to our next appointment on time. So she hurried me along which got my fat thighs moving faster which got the wet lips rubbing quicker. Needless to say I had to stop and take a break as an enormous climax hit me. My knees buckled and I hit the ground. She thought I was sick or something so after our appointment we went back to our apartment and I took some time to "freshen up". I masturbated furiously to try to get it all out of my system. I was always too scared to tell my mission president about it because I thought he would send me home. The stigma of being a failed missionary was more powerful to me than the stigma of telling my mission president that I had an involuntary orgasm followed by multiple self-induced orgasms.

After that day I started masturbating daily in the shower or while my companion was in the shower. Sometimes I would even excuse myself and rub one out in the restroom. I've never had another experience like that. I've never had another orgasm just from walking. I've also never stopped playing with myself long enough to see if it could happen again. Keeping myself satisfied allows me to focus in on more spiritual matters, as odd as that may sound to some people. I was a complete mess during my "no masturbating" time. I could hardly focus on anything and I spent a lot of time day dreaming. I found that I was a much more successful missionary after I returned to my old "evil" ways.



Thank you for this lovely honest story !!
Scsurfer
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: south pacific atoll

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby MrShorty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks for sharing Jillicious.

This is your statement that stood out to me:
Jillicious wrote:Keeping myself satisfied allows me to focus in on more spiritual matters, as odd as that may sound to some people.
. It is interesting as I have explored the "less conservative" side of this issue that I see some who will talk aobut how masturbation actually helps them avoid other sins by giving them a sexual outlet. Some of these will say that it is easier to not give into temptation when you are with a date because you can wait until you get home and take care of yourself. Some say it makes it easier to deal with sexual differences in marriage because the higher desire spouse can take care of the extra sexual energy so that it does not interfere with the relationship.

In many ways, it seems so counter to the ideas that are like Elder Packer in his Little Factory talk. The idea that, if you don't stimulate the little factory you will hardly know it is there.
MrShorty
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby be64 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:58 pm

MrShorty wrote:Thanks for sharing Jillicious.

This is your statement that stood out to me:
Jillicious wrote:Keeping myself satisfied allows me to focus in on more spiritual matters, as odd as that may sound to some people.
. It is interesting as I have explored the "less conservative" side of this issue that I see some who will talk aobut how masturbation actually helps them avoid other sins by giving them a sexual outlet. Some of these will say that it is easier to not give into temptation when you are with a date because you can wait until you get home and take care of yourself. Some say it makes it easier to deal with sexual differences in marriage because the higher desire spouse can take care of the extra sexual energy so that it does not interfere with the relationship.

In many ways, it seems so counter to the ideas that are like Elder Packer in his Little Factory talk. The idea that, if you don't stimulate the little factory you will hardly know it is there.
Well, women don't have a "little factory" but apparently still need an outlet that they don't get from wet dreams.

At any rate I'm glad to report that the little factory pamphlet is no longer available on lds.org either in print or digital. Not much time passed between Elder Packer's death and its removal. I don't think that is coincidental.
be64
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 am

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Jillicious » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

MrShorty wrote:...I see some who will talk aobut how masturbation actually helps them avoid other sins by giving them a sexual outlet. Some of these will say that it is easier to not give into temptation when you are with a date because you can wait until you get home and take care of yourself.


As I said in the other thread there is no one-size-fits-all solution for everyone. Masturbation works for me so I use it. For me it is better to feed the masturbation monster just enough to keep it at bay but not so much that I am consumed by sexual thoughts.

Others may find that masturbating opens the flood gates and makes it more difficult to keep pure thoughts. Perhaps Elder Packer was the type that masturbation caused more naughty thoughts and desires.
Jillicious
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby hiviguy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:40 am

not sure who the other 6 are but props to you. i used to masturbate a few times a week before the mission but on the mission it became a more frequent occurrence in the morning shower on the mission. think it was to do with the stress. never felt guilty about it as everywhere i looked i couldn't find anything condemning it outright, wasn't mentioned at all in the chastity pamphlet i was giving out to investigators, wasn't mentioned in the chastity lesson in PMG, was never directly asked about it during any interview, some might argue that the part in for the strength of youth about "not doing anything to arouse the powerful emotions that should only be expressed during marriage" is about solo masturbation but i disagree. marriage and sex was not part of what i was doing. i was doing it because it felt good and relieved stress. im convinced there is nothing wrong with it and never felt unworthy because of it, people still said they felt the spirit from me and had several clear revelations and spiritual experiences whilst on the mission. still masturbate now and again and know plenty of married men or men in stable relationships that still do.
hiviguy
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:06 am

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Tortdog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Never considered it on my mission. Honestly, I just never had any kind of thoughts that would remotely get me into a mood or desire. I guess I need something like that for me to find some kind of urge.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Tortdog
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby Mrs J » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 pm

hiviguy wrote:not sure who the other 6 are but props to you. i used to masturbate a few times a week before the mission but on the mission it became a more frequent occurrence in the morning shower on the mission. think it was to do with the stress. never felt guilty about it as everywhere i looked i couldn't find anything condemning it outright, wasn't mentioned at all in the chastity pamphlet i was giving out to investigators, wasn't mentioned in the chastity lesson in PMG, was never directly asked about it during any interview, some might argue that the part in for the strength of youth about "not doing anything to arouse the powerful emotions that should only be expressed during marriage" is about solo masturbation but i disagree. marriage and sex was not part of what i was doing. i was doing it because it felt good and relieved stress. im convinced there is nothing wrong with it and never felt unworthy because of it, people still said they felt the spirit from me and had several clear revelations and spiritual experiences whilst on the mission. still masturbate now and again and know plenty of married men or men in stable relationships that still do.
I realize this is such an old thread but this user's comment inspired a question. Have you noticed a diminished capacity to receive spiritual manifestations if you masturbate? I haven't. I believe I shared quite some time ago also that I was able to discover for myself in an odd way that fantasizing during sex is not offensive to the spirit. Now I can't profess this would be the same situation for everyone nor am I proclaiming this as gospel truth, just something I discovered to be true for me.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.
User avatar
Mrs J
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

PreviousNext

Return to Polls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests