Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

A place to post Polls.

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

If you served a full-time mission, how often (if at all) did you masturbate while on yours?

Never
23%
Once or twice
14%
3 to 5 times
6%
5 to 10 times
6%
10 to 25 times
4%
About once a month
9%
About twice a month
12%
Weekly
18%
So many times I can't remember or count
8%

Total votes : 100

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby be64 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:25 am

What would be interesting is a church wide poll of members on current masturbation activity.
be64

Postby Jgtrs » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Why not expand a poll outside of this forum, be64?
Jgtrs

Postby Tortdog » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Never did. Was not an issue.

Served on NE Brazil with gorgeous scantily clad women all over the place following the rule of look once or not a man but look twice then not a missionary.
Tortdog

Postby be64 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Tortdog wrote:Never did. Was not an issue.

Served on NE Brazil with gorgeous scantily clad women all over the place following the rule of look once or not a man but look twice then not a missionary.

Oi, como vai?

The women in Rio Grande do Sul were not scantily clad, nor was I ever near a beach. There were a couple of Brazilian sister missionaries I wouldn't have minded getting to know better though.
be64

Postby Fastball » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:02 am

I was a good missionary. Tempted but never did it.
Fastball

Postby UtahAl » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:44 pm

I may have accidentally masturbated twice on my mission. I didn't really intend to, but was horny after waking up in the middle of the night (after a good but incomplete dream) and just reached down to sort of stroke it once. That was all it took and it was over. The mission pres. had me skip the sacrament one week.

Incidentally, the girls in central Brazil didn't cover up well. In fact, they would drop pencils and things so they could intentionally bend over and give us a show down their shirts (with no bra). It was tough. Beautiful girls.
UtahAl

Postby be64 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:03 am

UtahAl wrote:I may have accidentally masturbated twice on my mission. I didn't really intend to, but was horny after waking up in the middle of the night (after a good but incomplete dream) and just reached down to sort of stroke it once. That was all it took and it was over. The mission pres. had me skip the sacrament one week.

Incidentally, the girls in central Brazil didn't cover up well. In fact, they would drop pencils and things so they could intentionally bend over and give us a show down their shirts (with no bra). It was tough. Beautiful girls.

Wow, three of us in Brazil.
be64

Postby Mastodon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:28 pm

be64 wrote:What would be interesting is a church wide poll of members on current masturbation activity.

I started a poll on this site in 2009, specifically to understand more about masturbation activity within the church. I transferred it to Google Docs a year or two later, and about a year ago, I posted it on Reddit and immediately got about 600 additional responses. I always felt that anyone with an account here would have a greater bias toward masturbation frequency. I felt like posting it more broadly would give more of a true cross-section across the LDS community. While I did get a lot more hits, the percentages have remained nearly identical in all categories. I check it about once a month and there are usually about a dozen new responses every couple of weeks. (I still think that a person that comes across the survey (even in an LDS forum or subreddit) is still skewed by being a person willing to click and follow a link, but given the consistency I would probably knock down the percentages by about 10% [I'm not a statistician] and still be valid. Its still pretty incredible to me that it is so prevalent among LDS (especially males).

LDS Masturbation Survey
Survey Results
Mastodon

Postby be64 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:31 am

Mastodon wrote:
be64 wrote:What would be interesting is a church wide poll of members on current masturbation activity.

I started a poll on this site in 2009, specifically to understand more about masturbation activity within the church. I transferred it to Google Docs a year or two later, and about a year ago, I posted it on Reddit and immediately got about 600 additional responses. I always felt that anyone with an account here would have a greater bias toward masturbation frequency. I felt like posting it more broadly would give more of a true cross-section across the LDS community. While I did get a lot more hits, the percentages have remained nearly identical in all categories. I check it about once a month and there are usually about a dozen new responses every couple of weeks. (I still think that a person that comes across the survey (even in an LDS forum or subreddit) is still skewed by being a person willing to click and follow a link, but given the consistency I would probably knock down the percentages by about 10% [I'm not a statistician] and still be valid. Its still pretty incredible to me that it is so prevalent among LDS (especially males).

LDS Masturbation Survey
Survey Results

I did your servey quite awhile back. The results are interesting, but as you mention, it's likely that people who are in to masturbation are more likely to find and reply to such a poll. People with strict "moral standards" are unlikely to read anything about sex online. It would be interesting to know exactly what percent of active members are frequent masturbators. I've heard a few bishops and stake presidents who have said it is very common, even President Kimball called it a "common indiscretion" therefore I would guess that masturbation among active church members is in fact common. However, I think that pride, envy, greed, backbiting, gossip, hatred, anger, ingratitude, and a whole host of other "sins" are also common, which is worse I can't say. It is commonly said that sexual sins are next to murder, but I somehow feel that pleasuring oneself is not nearly as serious a sin as the above mentioned ones.
be64

Postby sigmund » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Agreed!

Actually, no. All of the above sins are far worse than masturbation.
sigmund

PreviousNext

Return to Polls