Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

A place to post Polls.

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

If you served a full-time mission, how often (if at all) did you masturbate while on yours?

Never
22%
Once or twice
15%
3 to 5 times
7%
5 to 10 times
5%
10 to 25 times
4%
About once a month
10%
About twice a month
11%
Weekly
18%
So many times I can't remember or count
9%

Total votes : 82

Re: Mormons, Missionaries, and Masturbation

Postby JustGettingBy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Coriander wrote:In reference to the idea that the body will just go along peacefully if you take care not to arouse sexual feelings -

I wonder how many of the General Authorities might be asexual. There's probably no way to tell.

I have wondered that also. Not asexual but very low drives and they don't understand why others are so sinful and weak. Remember that many studies have shown 1/4 to 1/3 of marriages the men have a lower drive. Remember the one BYU professor that bragged he had never seen his wife naked. Just think how this makes the wife feel? Sickening. And also the advice to gay men to just stay single. That is better than the tragic advice previously given to get married anyway. But we are telling gay members to never even have an emotionally loving relationship. Just think of never even being allowed to go on a date. Single members don't have that future and have the hope that the "right person" might come along and they can date where they hold hands and kiss and hug even if marriage does not come..I have to ask if I could handle what is being asked of our gay members.
JustGettingBy

Postby KSSunflower » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Do you have to ask, though. Is it required of you to make this about what YOU could handle. I think you just have to know whether or not it is right or wrong to be in a gay relationship. I know that it doesn't fit into the gospel plan that the church teaches, but does that make it wrong? I do know that God doesn't give commands without a way to accomplish them. That doesn't mean it will be easy but he will provide a way. I know it seems tragic but with an eternal perspective I find it but a short endured sacrifice for all they will gain in the next life. I'm not entirely pleased with the new policy but those children will not be forgotten by our Heavenly Father. Keep praying for them and remember that he's still in charge. His plans will be fulfilled no matter what mistakes the Prophet and apostles make.
KSSunflower

Postby KSSunflower » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Oh yeah and maybe the prophets and apostles find it easier to avoid masturbation because they are busy with the work of the Lord. They probably pray often too. I feel most vulnerable to it when I'm alone in an idle moment. When I am busy and working it's hardly a thought. When I'm with dh, I'd rather have his touch than my own. Just a thought.
KSSunflower

Postby beachdreamer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Coriander wrote:In reference to the idea that the body will just go along peacefully if you take care not to arouse sexual feelings -

I wonder how many of the General Authorities might be asexual. There's probably no way to tell.

I don't know about asexual, but I believe that if Pres. Packer were born with a body like mine, he would never have given that little factory talk.
beachdreamer

Postby be64 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:22 pm

JustGettingBy wrote:

I have wondered that also. Not asexual but very low drives and they don't understand why others are so sinful and weak. Remember that many studies have shown 1/4 to 1/3 of marriages the men have a lower drive. Remember the one BYU professor that bragged he had never seen his wife naked. Just think how this makes the wife feel? Sickening. And also the advice to gay men to just stay single. That is better than the tragic advice previously given to get married anyway. But we are telling gay members to never even have an emotionally loving relationship. Just think of never even being allowed to go on a date. Single members don't have that future and have the hope that the "right person" might come along and they can date where they hold hands and kiss and hug even if marriage does not come..I have to ask if I could handle what is being asked of our gay members.

The person who allegedly had not seen his wife naked was Elder Mark E. Petersen
be64

Postby be64 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:39 pm

KSSunflower wrote:Do you have to ask, though. Is it required of you to make this about what YOU could handle. I think you just have to know whether or not it is right or wrong to be in a gay relationship. I know that it doesn't fit into the gospel plan that the church teaches, but does that make it wrong? I do know that God doesn't give commands without a way to accomplish them. That doesn't mean it will be easy but he will provide a way. I know it seems tragic but with an eternal perspective I find it but a short endured sacrifice for all they will gain in the next life. I'm not entirely pleased with the new policy but those children will not be forgotten by our Heavenly Father. Keep praying for them and remember that he's still in charge. His plans will be fulfilled no matter what mistakes the Prophet and apostles make.

Alma 34:34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

The promise is that if gays endure being sexless in this life all will be fine in the next life however in light of this scripture I have a hard time understanding how one with same sex attraction will feel any differently in the next life.
be64

Postby KSSunflower » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 pm

That is not their spirit, I don't believe. The spirit is what controls their flesh, their physical desires. If they choose to be obedient, wouldn't it be the obedient spirit they take with them, not the sexual attraction which is that way because of the way their physical body works.
KSSunflower

Postby be64 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:15 pm

It has been my understanding that we will have the same desires in the next life as in this life. Therefore if one has same sex desires that are not overcome in this life those desires will still be with them in the next life. I don't think that sexual desires magically leave you upon death any more than hatred, greed, pride or envy magically leave you. That's why we are supposed to overcome these in this life.

If homosexuality is wrong then I believe that the person not only has to remain sexless, but must also overcome all desire for homosexuality.
be64

Postby KSSunflower » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:18 pm

That's isn't what the scripture says. Spirit does not equal desires, else many of us will be left with desires that won't leave our bodies. How unjust if we never chose to act on them.
KSSunflower

Postby ILMW » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks to all of you who voted and commented on your experiences. Interesting that about 2/3 of the voters had some type of masturbatory experience while on their missions. I wonder whether the percentage would be lower if the poll were somehow extended church wide. At first, I thought maybe the percentage is higher in this poll because ldssexuality.com participants have particular interest in sex, but now I am thinking a church wide poll wouldn't be much different.
ILMW

PreviousNext

Return to Polls