Off topic, cell phones in Sacrement Meeting.

A place to post Polls.

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

Off topic, cell phones in Sacrement Meeting.

Postby be64 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 am

Our stake has said that it has come down from church leaders that in order to increase spirituality in Sacrement Meeting we are to turn off our cell phones and tablets during Sacrement Meeting. While I agree that we shouldn't be surfing the Internet or playing games during the meeting, I often look through lds.org and familysearch.org during Sacrement Meeting.

Since I take no paper books to church, my only source for the scriptures and manuals is my iPad or iPhone. I know you don't necessarily need to look up scriptures during the meeting, but to me it seems like they should also say to leave your scriptures zipped up in your scripture bag.

I don't generally take notes at church, but if I did it would be on my iPad. I'm certainly not going to take a pencil and paper to church.

At any rate I feel it would be better to simply state that we shouldn't use these devices for things other than scriptures and such during Sacrement meeting, rather than to not use them at all.

What I am wondering though is whether any of you have been given similar instruction. I don't really like it when instructions are given with only a vague source such as "church leaders". I feel that often times particular individuals in leadership positions may have a pet peeve which they campaign to correct and that such instruction isn't necessarily from "the church". It seems that official policy is normally made known by letters from the First Presidency or in instruction manuals.

Therefore again my question, have any of you been given this same instruction?
be64

Re: Off topic, cell phones in Sacrement Meeting.

Postby blahblahblah » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:55 am

Nope. If they did that here (Seattle area) there would be a lot of backlash. Talks are many times given with such devices and pretty much all of the bishopric items / announcements / programs are all done with a tablet or such. Very few people actually bring real scriptures any more.
blahblahblah

Postby mariabronn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:03 am

It's a matter of personal management. I see old and young using electronic devices at church. I see what I believe to be appropriate usage (scriptures, etc) and inappropriate usage (Facebook, chatting, etc).

Just as the church will make suggestions about good nutritious foods to eat, they will make suggestions about time usage, but never compel on these issues.
mariabronn

Postby KSSunflower » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 am

No I haven't heard anything like that. But I don't use them during sacrament meeting anyway.
"It is not sex that gives the pleasure, but the lover." ― Marge Piercy, “Sensuality is not a sexual invitation, it’s a depth invitation.” ― Lebo Grand http://mormonsexualdialogue.boards.net/, http://www.chatzy.com/24691190515294
KSSunflower

Postby MrShorty » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 am

There was this in the latest (Jun 2015) New Era: https://www.lds.org/new-era/2015/06/to- ... t?lang=eng It doesn't come out and say "no digital scriptures at all", but does suggest making it obvious that a youth (TNE targets youth rather than adults) is using the device for study and not for game playing. Perhaps this is the instruction they are referring to?
MrShorty

Postby bosshog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:24 am

My stake has asked that we put them on airplane mode during church, and to not stray outside the scriptures or hymns during sacrament meeting on them. My stake encouraged technology, but tried really hard to teach the proper use of them. As the YM president I use mine a lot during church. From teaching lessons to texting young men to see where they are. Also being that my organization is on 3 rooms I'll text my counselors with assignments and reminders when I get them.
bosshog

Postby OkieDokie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:25 pm

I just added texting to my cell phone a few weeks ago. Have not used it much yet maybe twice since i started it.
Bought an iPad about 3 years ago. But i never carry it around with me unless i need to update some apps on high speed internet wifi in town. My wifi at home is real slow antenna dish on the pole. Wifi Transmitter is 9 miles away.

Anyway last time i was in church about three years ago I saw no one using high tech stuff during any meeting.
Amazing how just a few years ago nobody had cellphones and thought nothing about missing a few calls. Now everyone is addicted to the things. I wonder when we get a chip implant in our brain so we can communicate without carrying a phone.

High tech is fine but i have lost track of how many people i have seen that can not even multiple 3x5 without a calculator app. If the grid ever goes down and no power most people would not know how to exist, probably go into a coma and just stand around starving .

Speaking of high tech ... I am thinking about installing an ultrasonic level transmitter and pump controller on my PSTU ( personal sewage treatment unit) What do you think? Digital level readout and pump run status would be on the wall next to my commode keeping me informed while i sit.
OkieDokie

Postby Momgyver » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

I haven't heard anything like that. I use my phone and iPad for scriptures, hymns, and I play the sing-along children's songs for my 6 year old primary class.
“Love cannot live where there is no trust.” Edith Hamilton
Momgyver

Postby ccrt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:16 pm

sometimes its the only way I can make it through the block
ccrt

Postby Big D » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Not here in our ward. I doubt it came from the top.
Big D

Next

Return to Polls