Guys Did You Masturbate When You Were Younger

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes : 73

Re: Guys, When You Were Younger...

Postby BBoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:34 pm

be64 wrote:Here is the link. https://www.lds.org/new-era/2014/08/tru ... g?lang=eng

"Although most mistakes can be confessed privately to the Lord, there are some transgressions that require more than that to bring about forgiveness. If your mistakes have been grievous, see your bishop. Otherwise, ordinary confession, quietly and personally, will do. But remember, that great morning of forgiveness may not come all at once. If at first you stumble, do not give up. Overcoming discouragement is part of the test. Do not give up. And as I have counseled before, once you have confessed and forsaken your sins, do not look back."

I don't know how you decide if your mistakes are "grievous".

Thanks for posting the link AND the pertinent quote!

I don't see how anyone can read President Packer's comment above, made to the entire youth membership of the church, and think that masturbation is grievous enough to bring up with a bishop. And remember, this is the same apostle who wrote the pamphlet about the little factory.
BBoy

Postby be64 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:22 pm

BBoy wrote:
be64 wrote:Here is the link. https://www.lds.org/new-era/2014/08/tru ... g?lang=eng

"Although most mistakes can be confessed privately to the Lord, there are some transgressions that require more than that to bring about forgiveness. If your mistakes have been grievous, see your bishop. Otherwise, ordinary confession, quietly and personally, will do. But remember, that great morning of forgiveness may not come all at once. If at first you stumble, do not give up. Overcoming discouragement is part of the test. Do not give up. And as I have counseled before, once you have confessed and forsaken your sins, do not look back."

I don't know how you decide if your mistakes are "grievous".

Thanks for posting the link AND the pertinent quote!

I don't see how anyone can read President Packer's comment above, made to the entire youth membership of the church, and think that masturbation is grievous enough to bring up with a bishop. And remember, this is the same apostle who wrote the pamphlet about the little factory.

I remember as a teenager about 35 years ago learning that sexual sins must be confessed and that just saying a prayer isn't enough. Also at the time it was made quite clear that masturbation was a sexual sin and that sexual sins are next to murder so I think anyone growing up at that time would've assumed that confession to a bishop was necessary.
be64

Postby corvette52 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:56 pm

I really wish that the church would just come out with an OFFICAL stance on this topic. I, myself, think it is not a 'spiritual' activity but also isn't a sin that is 'close to murder'.
-JM
corvette52

Postby cmfray » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Unfortunately the new FHE lesson on teaching children about sex had at least one reference that stated bluntly to teach your children masterbation is a sin. So - it still being taught, just not as vocally and widespread as it was in my generation.
Last edited by cmfray on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmfray

Postby BBoy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:56 am

"Sex is a sin" is a long ways away from "Masturbation is a sin that you need to meet with the bishop about."
BBoy

Postby cmfray » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 am

Sorry - I meant it says teach children masturbation is a sin. Just fixed it!
cmfray

Postby BBoy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:52 am

I couldn't find a specific reference to masturbation in the new FHE lesson. Could you point it out for me?

I myself believe that masturbation is a no-no, but I still do it on occasion. It's something I'm working on. I do also feel quite strongly that it is one of those things that can be repented of without involving priesthood leaders, that it should not prevent anyone from feeling worthy to attend the temple or use his priesthood. I can still feel quite strongly the influence of the Holy Ghost in my life daily.
BBoy

Postby be64 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm

cmfray wrote:Unfortunately the new FHE lesson on teaching children about sex had at least one reference that stated bluntly to teach your children masterbation is a sin. So - it still being taught, just not as vocally and widespread as it was in my generation.

Where is this said? I read through the article but not the many links and did not find anything specifically about masturbation.

One phrase that bothers me a bit is where it says "sexual behavior should only take place between husband and wife". It seems the definition of the law of chastity keeps getting broader. First it was "no sexual intercourse" then it became "no sexual relations" and now it seems someone is trying to broaden that to all sexual behavior. It could probably be said that dating, kissing, and holding hands is "sexual behavior". From what I have read, sexual behavior is anything that arouses sexual feelings. Therefore the simple act of making oneself attractive to the opposite sex could be considered sexual behavior. Looking at a member of the opposite sex could be considered sexual behavior if it has the effect of being sexually stimulating.
be64

Postby cmfray » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:33 pm

It's in the reference - Parent's Guide Chapter 5 - Section titled "Teach Teenagers That They Can Control Desires for Physical Intimacy". LDM use to reference this manual - saying the church is still teaching it. By putting it in this New FHE lesson as a reference - means LDM was right - I suppose. :(

"One example: masturbation is considered by many in the world to be the harmless expression of an instinctive sex drive. Teach your children that the prophets have condemned it as a sin throughout the ages and that they can choose not to do it. Throughout childhood, boys and girls have touched their own genitals frequently to wash and to dress. This is a behavior that usually has the same meaning as keeping one’s feet warm in the winter, enjoying a swim on a hot day, or scratching an itch. We ought to be friendly to our bodies and appreciate the body’s marvelous range of senses. This innocent touching is not the kind of behavior warned against by prophets through the ages. The sin of masturbation occurs when a person stimulates his or her own sex organs for the purpose of sexual arousal. It is a perversion of the body’s passions. When we pervert these passions and intentionally use them for selfish, immoral purposes, we become carnal.

Masturbation is not physically necessary. There is already a way by which the male system relieves excessive spermatic fluid quite regularly through the nocturnal emission or wet dream. Monthly menstrual flow expels the female’s egg and cleanses the womb. For both sexes, physical or emotional tensions can be released by vigorous activity. Thus, in a biological sense, masturbation for either gender is not necessary. In a gospel sense, it is a sin: “Masturbation, a rather common indiscretion, is not approved of the Lord nor of His Church regardless of what may have been said by others whose ‘norms’ are lower. Latter-day Saints are urged to avoid this practice” (Spencer W. Kimball, Love Versus Lust, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year [Provo, 5 Jan. 1965], p. 22).

Nothing new - same old. Still quoting SWK's 1965 talk. The manual was written in 1985. Time for an update???
cmfray

Postby cmfray » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Would still like to know who the prophets were that condemned it throughout the ages. I have found none - except for SWK. I also think it is interesting that it says from a gospel sense it is a sin - and then quotes SWK saying it is an indiscretion. And for the record - that talk was given before he was called to be the Prophet. Don't know that that fact makes a difference. I just find it interesting.

Merrium Webster definition - indiscretion

: lack of good judgment or care in behavior and especially in speech : lack of discretion

: an act or remark that shows a lack of good judgment : an indiscreet act or remark

See the word sin, or anything like it??

SIGH!!!!

Ok - this has all been said before - in the 100's of threads on this topic. I am just pointing out that, unfortunately in my view, this will still be taught widely as doctrine because they included this reference in this new lesson.
cmfray

PreviousNext

Return to Polls