Buying Panties as a Teen

A place to post Polls.

Moderators: zookie, Mrs J, mariabronn

How did you buy panties growing up and did your parents restrict what you could wear?

Bought them on my own with no restrictions
43%
Bought with mom's approval
36%
Mom bought them for me
21%

Total votes : 14

Re: Buying Panties as a Teen

Postby Allison » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has answered the poll question. Do you think any of this had an impact on how you approach your sexuality as an adult? Did your underwear change dramatically when you moved away out of your parent's house?
Allison

Postby be64 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:21 am

Obviously as a man I didn't buy panties, but as a teenager I always wanted to buy mens bikini style underwear with a pouch and no fly. I never dared buy them because of what my parents might think. I'd have bought them upon moving out of the house except I didn't move out until my mission and of course was wearing temple garments at that point. I remove my garments for working out and I now have a collection of "sexy" briefs and thongs that I wear under my workout shorts or sweat pants.
be64

Postby One Step » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Allison wrote:He never cared. He was part of some of my bigger sex talks (most were still with mom) and he didn't have any problem with my innocent expressions of my sexuality. He always said his biggest concern wasn't that I would end up having sex but that decisions I would make regarding sex might limit me in other ways. We talked a lot about people my parents knew (and some that I did too) who started having sex young and how it affected them. Not just unwanted pregnancy but commitment to people that would grow to be a bad fit for them. I look back at some of the crushes I was tempted to be sexual with growing up and I think that sex might have convinced me to commit to guys I now realize would not have been a good fit for me. That was always my dad's biggest concern and we talked openly about it many times. He didn't care that I wore thongs or bikinis or short shorts or that I sometimes got a little too flirtatiously physical with guys...he just wanted me to end up with a loving man who would really compliment my whole personality. Now I'm crying, thinking about my dad. I love him so much :)

Your dad sounds awesome and I'm a tad tear-y too. That kind of relationship is what I hope to have one day. Keeping an eye on the bigger picture is so important and the message I delivered to a relative once after catching her with someone I didn't feel was good enough for her. Don't let your body say yes (through hormones, to having a relationship) when your brain would say otherwise.
One Step

Postby Quest » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Allison, I think your posts are great. It's nice to find a forum with other like minded people. I bought panties "secretly" when I was in high school. It was a don't ask don't tell policy where I LOVED buying thongs and sexy underwear but would be really embarrassed if my mom knew. I did my own laundry to avoid the discomfort. I wish she had talked with me about it and helped me feel comfortable about my desires to feel sexy and attractive.
Quest

Postby JustGettingBy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:58 pm

To go (almost) totally off-thread. This reminds me of when I was a teenager I worked the register at a department store. I remember one rather large woman, oh what am I saying - she was LARGE! She bought a couple of panties. There was about as much material in each one as the scout pup tent that I would sleep in. The embarrassing thing was that I had to find the price tag while several people were waiting in line. I would think I had the waist line and keep searching for the tag only to realize that it was one of the legs! It seemed to me like it took me over a minute each to find the tag on each of the 5 pair. I was proud I held my composure. Since that time I have never had any desire to play with panties.
JustGettingBy

Postby mariabronn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:59 pm

It is really unfortunate that we'd have to be secretive about buying underwear.
mariabronn

Postby Allison » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:17 pm

That's exactly why I was hoping to get more feedback on this question. I think underwear reflects how we view sexuality and this discussion ought to be had more often. If our girls are being made to feel anxious about their underwear, that should be a topic of conversation. Too often, it seems, girls in the Church quietly develop these unproductive or even destructive attitudes through subtle cues.
Allison

Postby mariabronn » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:36 pm

The question then, Allison, is how do we get information to these girls? That's the big dilemma.
mariabronn

Postby Swish » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 am

My wife wore thongs in high school even with her dads strong disapproval. I think her mom was not sure what to think of the sexy underwear department.

But I think it's important as well. My wife, I know, will be fine with our daughters wearing thongs. She's pointed out obvious benefits. They don't show underwear lines in pants, our girls will still be taught to own their sexuality and chastity, and to cherish it, even if they wear sexy underwear, they don't need to be slutty, nor should they ever think the two are correlated.

It can help them with their self confidence and body image. If you look in the mirror and think you look great, how can that be a bad thing for so many girls that struggle with self confidence?
Swish

Previous

Return to Polls